K3D is an excellent tool for modellers and animators who deal with many Lightwave objects.
It's much faster than loading each object into Lightwave to quickly and intuitively examine it.
For example, in Lightwave Layout select File->Load->Load Object and in the list of files right click on any object and select "Open with K3D..." from the menu to instantly view the object before loading it into your scene!
- All versions of Lightwave object format supported including LW6/7/8 multi-layer files.
- High quality, fast OpenGL rendering (supports all hardware accelerated OpenGL cards).
- Excellent support for lightwave surface characteristics including colour, diffusion, specular, gloss, transparency, smoothing, double sided polys etc.
- Support for single points, lines and polygon objects.
- Sub-patch support (NEW: faster with version 2.1.1) - with varying levels of detail.
- Save current object render in multiple images formats (JPG, BMP, TIF, PNG)
- Intuitive keyboard and mouse control.
- Drag and drop file support (including entire folders!)
- Double click any .LWO object to load it quickly into K3D.
- Use the Page Up/Down keys to quickly browse other objects in the same directory.
- Multiple configurable display modes including points, wireframe, anti-aliased wireframe and smooth shaded polygons.
- Multiple configurable lights.
- Full scene hardware anti-aliasing supported.
- Ability to instantly toggle LW layers on/off in the display window.
This is the new and improved version of K3D-GL, the old version that only supports Lightwave 4/5 objects is still available for download here.